If you’re going to your first water polo meet, then things can get a bit daunting! Fortunately, you shouldn’t bee too worried as everyone at your water polo meet will be friendly. If you haven’t played water polo before, then don’t worry too much either. People there will be understanding that you don’t know the ins and outs of water polo.
If you do feel like things are going a little fast, then you can always ask one of the instructors to slow down a little and let you catch up. They will fill you in on everything that you need to know about water polo, so don’t worry if you’ve never played before.
Here are some of the things that you’ll need to take with you for your first water polo meet.
- Goggles – Goggles for playing water polo are undoubtedly one of the main things that you’ll need when you’re going to play for the first time. Why? Well, although the majority of water polo your head is out of the water, players still used goggles anyway incase their head dips under sometimes.
- Food – Get your backpack ready and fill it with a ton of food! Try to get yourself some complex carbohydrates in there because water polo is an extremely intensive sport and it can be very tiring. Ensuring that you’ve got enough snacks for the entire day is an essential part of playing water polo as playing on an empty stomach can leave you lightheaded.
- Swimming Costume – As well as these things, you’ll of course need your swimming costume! You will need to find one that isn’t to tight as with water polo you will be moving into a variety of different positions, so you need to be sure that you have full flexibility of your limbs when playing water polo for the first time.
- Cap – Not all players opt to use a water olo cap when they are training, but it is a good idea if you want to keep your hair protected and help back out of your face.
- Shower gel – When you’re playing water polo, one of the drawbacks is that the time you’re in the water may lead to having oily skin. For this reason, a good face wash that is designed specifically for this is also a good idea.
Overall, water polo is a fun sport and you shouldn’t overthink things as you are there to have fun. If you pay attention to the teachers then you will learn a lot about water polo in your first sessions. It’s imperative that you take your time to learn properly and this will benefit you further down the line.